Thursday 1 March 2012

beautiful connections



hello march. i can't believe you're here already! i didn't mean to be away for so long. but after the slow month of january which is generally only eased by the ambitions for the new year, plotting great plans and a full of hope feeling that brightens even the gloomiest of winter days. by the time march comes around i am always surprised that it is already, well, march! and here i am hoping that i will catch up with this year before it races off and i am left chasing behind wondering where all the months have gone. is it only me, do you ever get this feeling?


definitely a highlight so far this year and a happy distraction from our woes was when my mother and i, along with my little ones visited my lovely sister in cornwall for a few days. we had a great time catching up and seeing her life close up rather than on the end of a telephone. it was wonderful. and as we said farewell she handed us each a jar filled with some of her sourdough starter to take home and nurture. from start to finish the whole process is quite a labour of love. after feeding it for a bit (you can see how to make the starter here) and making the sponge, and all that rising time here is my first loaf. it is delicious and fresh bread and honey is so simple and wholesome. but what i like most is that we are all making bread to feed our families from the same sourdough starter. the three of us, in our homes that are not as close to each other as we'd like. i enjoy thinking about my sister and my mother every time i feed my starter or eat this delicious bread. and yes, it makes me feel connected to these amazing women who also happen to be in my family. and i love that, it's a special feeling and one that makes me feel very happy indeed.

sarada xx

2 comments:

rose red said...

I feel the same.

Little Dotty Bird said...

I definately feel that the months and even years are running away from me. I can't beieve how quickly weeks pass by, especially since my youngest started school. It freaks me out a little sometimes and my "to do" list just keeps getting longer and the dreams of the future and ambitions keep shifting...but anyway..your bread looks amazing, I never quite got the hang of sourdough and managed to kill mine..:( Love the family sentiment too x